Sunday 29 October 2017

29th October 2017
Halloween weekend
We have started in the UK to do Halloween in a way that I dislike: one of my reasons not to be at home for October half-term
On a tape rerunning in my head...
when I can help it... I dislike fake blood suddenly being OK and little girls being encouraged to dress up in skimpy vampire schoolgirl outfits with lots of eye makeup!
Escaping to the garden is one way of sticking myself in the (not so sandy) earth, figuratively. Meanwhile hubby lies on the sofa nursing his swollen jaw and puffy face after wisdom tooth extraction. I remember how painful I found this and don't really have the allowance for self-pity myself at the moment and I must console myself with the kids' return to school tomorrow!
Yesterday I planted a couple of little hellebores and more allium bulbs and poppy seeds: if nothing gets built in the meantime I will have attempted to redesign the colours in my north-facing front garden and I have some more Slugfree pellets to add to the front borders to try and stop the advancing snails. I hacked away at the rose bush overtaking the front path, which the neighbour told me has started to become wild rose... It'll be gone by next year (or is that wishful thinking?)...
Bulbs and seeds...
Alliums are a form of onion and the seed heads can be so dramatic,
better than the thousands of daffodils planted in our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment