Friday 26 May 2017

Bank holiday approaching

Gardening in Literature and Media
I had just started an Agatha Christie novel on my kindle and I came across a discussion of dealing with the yellow peril! 'I was busy exterminating dandelion roots when...' was the line that caught my attention in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. So the battle has been ongoing longer than I am going to guess! 
Aquilegia are everywhere!
I have also caught a few episodes of the coverage of the flower show at Chelsea and it's made me realise I can call this gardening lark of mine a passion as it clearly is for so many of the visitors and celebrities that have been featured on the bits I have caught. (The tickets to this weren't cheap, even for the late afternoon entries, so I'll just have to store my one visit a good few years ago in my memory cache!) although Birmingham and Gardener's World is not long now...
Mary Berry, and Kelly Brook both showed off their gardens in short films during the Chelsea coverage and they were both spectacular for their own reasons - the actress not being adverse to getting her waders on and doing a bit of water gardening. I do miss our garden pond in our last house but I have promised not to dig one so deep if we do one here. I need to do a proper drawing like I said in February but the summer has crept up on me without a plan emerging...
The people's choice garden was won by Chris Beardshaw and there were some fun moments of alternative hats being tried on by Joe Swift. I loved seeing the greenhouses with 20,000 flycatchers and the exotic and new plants being displayed in the indoor pavilions from around the world.

I am now just enjoying the flowers appearing, and the fruits growing, and the occasional weed purging to get too serious about major structural changes but I have aspirations...
Pansies are still blooming in a pot planted in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment