Sunday 17 June 2018

All Caked Out in An Open Gardens Odyssey!

17th June 2018
All Caked out!




Path and tree seat were a nice combination.

Slate forming this water
feature makes it curve slowly.



This was a very characterful tree.






On the buses...






Redcurrants behind nets.





Contemporary Peace roses have a red outside.






I never thought it would be possible, but I had too much cake! Starting with rhubarb and ginger, and ending with gluten-free fairy cakes, I was craving something savoury when we hit garden no. 14 which had the barbie on! We went from a small delightful Oriental garden to several enormous gardens quadruple the size of ours, with a few our size in the middle. We saw angular and straight, curvy and circuitous, random and highly ordered. There was something to take from them all, not least the bulbs of a marvellous creamy iris which one lady kindly tried to dig up for me!
There were amazing colour combinations which inspired me to be brave and bold and the crowded borders made me realise what grows here and what combinations would work well. Having mum with me meant that I had the names of things supplied and make me able to list the day’s favourites; orange geums, purple smoke bush or continus, and boy, does my auto corrector not like those, as well as pretty cranesbill blue geraniums and ceonothas bushes.
We managed 16 of the A to Z of Letchworth, and I managed 13,000 steps before I got home and collapsed flat. I've not done over 6,000 for a couple of weeks.
I shall be planting like mad in my new greenhouse x 

No comments:

Post a Comment