Saturday 17 March 2018

Open Gardens helpout

A helpful map to the cakes!

History of the area

17th March 2018
Hot Soup and cake!
I have said I am a fair weather gardener but even I know the Brits will visit other people’s houses and gardens in all weathers... Today was such a day when I was a volunteer helper at a lovely garden in Mid Herts which was open today in the light snow showers none of us anticipated...
Helpers in the barn, including
one of Luton's MS Branch




I’m not sure of the final head count but considering how lovely it was yesterday, to get more than sixty visitors was the sign of an important local property and popular members of the community. They got over 800 a few weeks ago, hence the call out to local MS Society members to help out. Open Gardens is an institution across the country and it allows us to see different landscapes and corners of the country we wouldn’t normally see. Additionally, the MSSociety is a major benefactor to the proceeds of the scheme this year. All of which is another reason to indulge my favourite things - gardens and cake - but I arrived this morning without any money (my purse had been raided for my eldest's Gang Show treat the night before) and not wearing quite enough layers, so I partook of several cups of hot hearty soup and a few homemade cakes, and when my poorly husband (he is badly affected by the car crash last week) picked me up, he treated us to more cake, donating to the cause. I hope Sarah-Jane and Co’s efforts have been worth all the hard work. There was a huge team of local helpers, and lots of lovely home cooked goodies with helpful gluten free and nut free varieties. When I ventured out from the goodie barn I was able to see a small fraction of the garden and the fire pits which had been helping to warm the intrepid visitors.







No comments:

Post a Comment