Wednesday 4 July 2018

Insomnia and Lumps...

4th July 2018
Being Pedantic!

It has kept me awake this one. On one of the hottest nights and after watching the England team celebrating getting through this World Cup on penalties! First time ever!
But it's annoying the pedantic nature of me: it doesn't feel like I have a lump! This 'lump', this precancerous thingie, is not how I always thought I should look out for a strange protuberance suddenly appearing on my body, because it isn't. A protuberance that is, it's more of a balloon under the skin and more to the point, the nasty stuff isn't in Tommy Tumour or Cyril Cyst but inside the milk ducts, which are to be removed along with the nipple during the mastectomy surgery and those don't stick out or appear 'lumpy'.
That perplexes me as it's not the terminology you'd expect and possibly why so much breast cancer goes unnoticed until it's too late? I also had been linking it all to the matter of breast feeding, which as a two-times elderly primigravida, I attempted with varying successes twice and pursued more vigorously after my MS diagnosis when told it could lessen the progression of my MS.
So I suggest its a language quirk that needs addressing and changing. Watch out for strange bubbles instead? I have had slight pain but I have been known to have a high pain threshold so that doesn't help much either...
I must go back to bed and sleep through some of tonight. To all you insomniacs out there, I feel your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment